Sunday, November 30, 2008

Haunted Tales of Youth


Ok, I admit it. I was a strange child. When I was in grade school and our class got to go to the library I would always pick out a book on one of two subjects: Halloween or magic.

One of my favorite books, that I somehow talked my mother into buying for me, was The Haunted House and Other Spooky Poems and Tales edited by Gladys Schwarcz and Vic Crume. I own the 1970 Scholastic version - the cover exploding in autumn colors around a Victorian style house that is most assuredly haunted. The back cover of the book states:

Here are chilling, thrilling tales and poems...ghosts, witches and evil creatures of the night. You'll shiver and shake, quiver and quake, at their ghastly moans and chuckles.

With a description like that, what's not to love?

The book features wonderful tales of ghosts and hauntings. My favorite was the Velvet Ribbon by Ann McGovern. I don't want to infringe on any copyrights so I won't post the story here - you'll have to pick up your own copy - but let's just say if your bride wears a velvet ribbon around her neck all the time there is probably a good reason for it.

I still have this book in my possession and despite the number of times it's been read it's in pretty good shape. The pages have yellowed and the cover is worn but the tales inside are still endearing. It's cold outside today so maybe I'll just curl up with a blanket and revisit the haunted tales of my youth.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin