Saturday, June 11, 2011

In Ruins

Dawn (of Nickols Manor fame) posted back in May about The Baker Hotel located in Mineral Wells, Texas. The Baker was built in the 1920s and abandoned some 40-50 years later. Vacant and deteriorating, it reminded me of something I had come across earlier in the year.

Oh it all began innocently enough. My BFF, Google, and I were trolling the internet looking for dilapidated buildings for haunt inspiration when I came upon Yves Merchand & Romain Meffre Photography and their Ruins of Detroit. The book had not yet come out (but is now available on Amazon) so I just poked around the site.


I love old buildings and have been known to nose around in abandoned structures if the opportunity presents itself. Akin to snooping around the graveyard, feeling the soul of it's old bones and wondering what used to be.




I have a soft spot for Detroit though I've never been there. See, the hubby is in the car business and has been for over 25 years. When you think of cars you can't help but think of Motor City. I was especially pleased to see Chrysler with their recent ad campaign focus on Detroit. (Adding Eminem to the mix didn't hurt either.) Let me add here that hubby was not amused with my fascination with the ads. We don't sell Chrysler. Ehhh - but that's not the point.





So what is the point of this post? I know I was going somewhere with this.


The falling down buildings with their haunting rooms and peeling walls are ideal backdrops for a haunt and a look that many try to obtain. You will find some inspiration within the Ruins of Detroit but it's also a reminder that nothing stays the same and these old relics host the ghosts of dreams and disappointment from those that came before.



**All photos copyright Yves Merchand & Romain Meffre Photography and shown only as an small sampling of the stunning photos you can find in their book, Ruins of Detroit.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out! Those are some gorgeous pictures you have posted, I think that first one grabs me the most - I think its the sheer quantity of windows, and the thought that SO MUCH history happened in that place.... wow, great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's my favorite as well. The windows and the ornateness of the structure. It's Central Station so one can only imagine the number of souls who have passed through. It's sad to see it in ruin.

    Keep us posted on the Baker! I look forward to it's rise from the ashes.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin